“…Partition Logic, a third party tool which corrected my corrupted partitions in all of a minute… Partition Logic clearly demonstrates that it’s possible to have such tools, and be easy to use, and have a nice GUI and be less than 1MB.” — Carl Bateman, www.bitwisemag.com
Partition Logic is a free hard disk partitioning and data management tool. It can create, delete, erase, format, defragment, resize, copy, and move partitions and modify their attributes. It can copy entire hard disks from one to another.
Partition Logic is free software, available under the terms of the GNU General Public License. It is based on the Visopsys operating system. It boots from a CD or floppy disk and runs as a standalone system, independent of your regular operating system.
Partition Logic is intended to become a free alternative to such commercial programs as Partition Magic, Drive Image, and Norton Ghost.
Partition Logic supports most basic PC hardware without any additional work or configuration. It has very modest (by today’s standards) requirements:
- Pentium-class or better x86 processor. Supports all modern Intel x86 and AMD processors.
- 32 megabytes RAM memory (16 megabytes if operating in text mode).
- IDE (ATA) or SATA hard disks, or USB disks for partitioning.
- IDE (ATAPI) or SATA CD-ROM drive, if booting from the CD version.
- Standard PC floppy disk, if booting from the floppy disk version.
- For graphics mode, a VESA 2-compatible graphics card with linear framebuffer support.
- USB or PS/2-syle keyboard.
- USB or PS/2-style mouse, or USB touchscreen, if operating in graphics mode.
Partition logic has the following limitations:
- No hardware support for non-USB SCSI hard disks
- No support for Sun or BSD disk labels.
- Cannot format partitions as EXT3 or EXT4.
- Cannot resize EXT filesystems.